How Often Should You Repack Trailer Wheel Bearings?July 3, 2023 by Kyle McFarlane
McFarlane’s service department is here to help you keep your trailer safe and ready for its next job. We offer a wide range of services, including wheel bearing maintenance and repair. Many trailer owners need more information about how to pack wheel bearings on a trailer. Here we will summarize what wheel bearings do for you, how to repack trailer bearings and provide overall tips on travel trailer wheel bearing maintenance.
Wheel Bearings: A Crucial Part of Your Trailer
Wheel bearings allow the wheels to rotate freely and smoothly, which is essential for safe operation. If your wheel bearings are not properly maintained, they can overheat and fail, which can cause serious damage to your trailer. Here are some of the things that can happen if your wheel bearings are not properly maintained:
- Overheating: If your wheel bearings overheat, they can warp or seize, which can cause the wheels to lock up. This can lead to a loss of control and a crash.
- Failure: If your wheel bearings fail, the wheels will no longer be able to rotate freely. This can cause the trailer to become unstable and could cause an accident.
- Damage to the trailer: If your wheel bearings overheat or fail, they could warp the axle, damage the wheel, or even tear the trailer apart.
How To Pack Wheel Bearings on a Trailer
In order to pack wheel bearings on a trailer, you should trust a professional., Experts know how to remove the wheel and tire safely, clean the bearing, fully apply high-quality trailer wheel bearing grease, install the bearing and test it for any noise or rough friction.
- Remove the wheel and tire. Use a lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts and remove the wheel and tire.
- Clean the bearing. Use a wire brush to clean the bearing of any dirt, debris, or old grease.
- Apply grease. Use high-quality wheel bearing grease and apply it to the bearing races. Be sure to get grease into all of the nooks and crannies.
- Install the bearing. Reinstall the wheel and tire and tighten the lug nuts.
- Test the bearing. Spin the wheel by hand and listen for any noise or roughness. If you hear any noise, the bearing may not be properly packed.
Additional Tips for Packing Wheel Bearings
Also, consider these ideas as you seek to deepen your knowledge of travel trailer wheel bearing maintenance:
- Use high-quality wheel bearing grease. Cheap grease will not provide the same level of protection and can lead to premature bearing failure.
- Be sure to get grease into all of the nooks and crannies of the bearing. This will help to ensure that the bearing is properly lubricated and protected.
- If you are not comfortable packing wheel bearings, you can take your trailer to a qualified mechanic. They will be able to pack the bearings properly and ensure that your trailer is safe to drive.
Signs That Your Wheel Bearing Needs To Be Packed
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have the wheel bearings checked by a qualified mechanic. They will be able to determine if the bearings need to be packed or replaced.
- Noise: If you hear a humming or growling noise coming from the wheels, it may be a sign that the bearings need to be packed.
- Heat: If the wheels feel hot to the touch, it may be a sign that the bearings are not properly lubricated.
- Looseness: If the wheels feel loose or wobbly, it may be a sign that the bearings are worn out.
How to Maintain Your Wheel Bearings
There are a few things you can do to maintain your wheel bearings and keep them in good working order:
- Inspect your wheel bearings regularly. Look for signs of wear, such as excessive heat, grease, or noise.
- Lubricate your wheel bearings regularly. Use a high-quality lubricant that is designed for wheel bearings.
- Have your wheel bearings inspected and repaired by a qualified mechanic at least once a year.
McFarlane’s Service Department Can Help
If you need help with wheel bearing maintenance or repair, McFarlane’s Service Department is here to help. We have a team of experienced mechanics who are experts in trailer repair. We use only high-quality parts and lubricants. We also offer a wide range of products for trailers, including:
- Washing chemicals
- Full trailer restoration
- And more!
Contact McFarlane’s Service Department Today
If you need help with your trailer, contact McFarlane’s Service Department today. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and help you get your trailer back on the road. Contact McFarlane’s today to learn more about our products and services.